Greek English 24/7 Support : +30 6974912630

Taxi transfer from Thessaloniki airport to Alexandroupoli port

22 Aug 2018

Alexandroupoli or Alexandroupolis is a city in Greece and the capital of the Evros regional unit in East Macedonia and Thrace. It is an important port and commercial center of northeastern Greece.

Alexandroupoli is one of the newest cities in Greece, as it was only a fishing village until the late 19th century. However, the modern city is located at the site of ancient Sale (Greek: Σάλη), a Greek city of the classical era founded by colonists from the island of Samothrace, mentioned by Herodotus.

Alexandroupoli benefits from its position at the centre of land and sea routes connecting Greece with Turkey. Landmarks in Alexandroupoli include the city's lighthouse in the port, the archaeological sites of the Mesimvria Zone and Maroneia stretching out to the small port of Agios Charalambos, the city's waterfront (the centre of commercial activity), and the nearby Evros Delta.

Taxi transfer from Thessaloniki airport to Alexandroupoli port

You can transfer to Alexandroupoli port directly from Thessaloniki airport with reliable, low cost transfers that our company provides.

The port of Alexandroupolis is one of the most important ports of all Greece. It is the only large port of Thrace and the greatest commercial hub of the area. It receives passenger, merchant, fishing and tourist ships. As the railway network of the Region is connected to the port of Alexandroupolis, there is the possibility of cargo loading and unloading from ships to train wagons and vice versa, at two docks.

The port of Alexandroupolis is daily connected by sea with the island of Samothrace, while routes are carried out to the Northeast Aegean islands during summer.

The construction of the port of Alexandroupolis began in the 19th century by French manufacturers that came after they had been invited by the then Ottoman authorities. In 1880, the French Company of Ottoman Lighthouses built the Lighthouse that still dominates in the port of Alexandroupolis and has become the city’s symbol.